[CentOS] ATA-over-Ethernet v's iSCSI

Dave Hornford OSD at HornfordAssociates.com
Mon Nov 7 16:10:28 UTC 2005

Nick,

What are you planning on running over the shared connection? Database, eMail, File Shares? How many users? How much data? What is your I/O profile?

I've worked with 'enterprise' storage most of my career either as a consumer, adviser or provider - can't comment on AoE other than to suggest you look at what are the business & technical goals, how they solve it and what is your risk profile against the business need of the system. (I'm currently working as an adviser)

When you have an opportunity to chase into "enterprise support" of new disk is usually comes down to insufficient time for testing, or known problems (heat, torque, variability in sample, failure rate & edge-case incompatibility with previously certified products are normal)

You have hinted with the concern over TCP offload that you may have higher-end performance needs and that this system carries a high business value and needs a lower risk solution.

Remember risk is a cost.

regards Dave
www.hornfordassociates.com