[CentOS] [OT] Re: New Standard/Daylight time-change dates in rhel4u2 butnot centos4.2?

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 8 00:55:26 UTC 2005

[ I'm so wrong for continuing this ... ]

Sam Drinkard <sam at wa4phy.net> wrote:
> How about Zulu time :-)  That still works for me, and
> everybody else who has had dealings with the armed forces
> or U.S. Gov't (aside the politicians)

The US military is completely different than US legislative,
executive and other civilian leadership, contractors and
support.  Anyone who knows the first thing about the US knows
this.  It's a complete irony of how the US operates.  God
knows we have the most inefficient configuration of any
modern Democratic-Republic -- most other nations choose their
executive from the ruling legislative party.  We have not in
the majority of our years (2002+ has been one of the rare
exceptions in our history).  Our founding fathers did this
for a reason, purposely preventing many things -- the
checks'n balances continue through today (and they are quite
alive and well, even if one party gains control for awhile,
it changes back, things can be repealed that aren't desired,
etc...).

The US military is lean, mean and efficient.  Everything the
US military is allowed to do is precise and effective, in the
context of its abilities.  Compare any civilian contractor or
R&D design to any invention the military has come up with
directly (the F-15 v. F-4 comes to mind, let alone the fixed
wing Gunship, just in the last half century).  From military
specifications after interpretation by civilian contractors
to civilian interpretation of military situations, the best
way to really screw things up is to introduce the non-sense.
Anything designed directly by the military -- with no
oversight, no review, no non-sense, just damn works
efficiently.

Of course, to keep the US from becoming a 2-bit military
dictatorship, the US military answers to its civilians who
are elected by its people.  And that's where all the
non-sense comes in.  In fact, one would say it's the natural
law of the US entity -- because if our military wanted to
take over our nation, it would be no contest.  Thank God
every American officer knows that there is a reason why they
will always obey the civilian leadership, without question,
without comment.

And they will expense everything -- beyond just their life,
but even their name -- to ensure they never cross that line.

Don't confuse those who make the least money, and have the
least benefits, to the ones that complain about not getting
enough money, and getting the most benefits (so-called public
servants ;-).

-- Bryan "clearly an opinionated US Libertarian" Smith

P.S.  These statements are in regard to the entire US
history.  Do not infere them to be made solely towards the
current US leadership in any branch.  Quite the opposite,
it's our history.