[CentOS] kernel recompile help

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 00:35:44 UTC 2005

On 11/8/05, Ryan <ryanag at zoominternet.net> wrote:
> Everytime I try to recompile a kernel, "make modules" always dies with
> the error:
>
> mv: cannot stat `include/asm-i386/asm_offsets.h.tmp': No such file or
> directory
> make: *** [include/asm-i386/asm_offsets.h] Error 1
>
> I installed the src RPM and kernel-devel ... any ideas as to what I
> could be doing wrong?

My first statement would be to say that there is very rarely a need to
rebuild a kernel. Nearly everything you could need is provided either
in the stock kernel or in the unsupported kernel in the centosplus
repository.  Doing so on a system like RHEL/centos can jeopardize
system stability and may cause upgrades of packages like iptables and
others to fail. Centos is not like gentoo or LFS where you're supposed
to get down and dirty with building things. The centos/rhel kernel is
VERY heavily patched, and the system relies on these.

Now that I've given you the warning, the how-to I'd recommend reading
is here -> http://crab-lab.zool.ohiou.edu/kevin/kernel-compilation-tutorial-en/

You'll have to adjust some parts to agree with centos, but it's very
general and very good.

Again, I'd really recommend sticking with either centos stock kernel
or centosplus.

The driving philosophy behind centos is to be stable, not cutting edge.

--
Jim Perrin
System Administrator - UIT