[CentOS] kernel recompile help

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 02:54:27 UTC 2005

On 11/8/05, Ryan <ryanag at zoominternet.net> wrote:
> Jim Perrin wrote:
>

> Have you actually seen the modules included by default?

I have actually. They're nearly all modules, and I'm not trying to fit
the kernel on a floppy anymore. My philosophy is that if I don't load
them, I don't have to deal with them.

> Token Ring drivers?
> Amiga filesystem support?

What... you don't use these every day? :-P

> Very fair warning, however, I tend to only strip out the useless (for
> me) modules, and avoid anything remotely related to what I use.

So long as you know what you're doing and you're careful. My biggest
argument with people rebuilding the kernel is that they take the
gentoo "build it all" mentality and apply it to rpm based systems
improperly. So long as you're aware of what you're doing and you keep
within the rpm mindset, I have 0 argument with tinkering.

> > Now that I've given you the warning, the how-to I'd recommend reading
> > is here -> http://crab-lab.zool.ohiou.edu/kevin/kernel-compilation-tutorial-en/
>
> Great link. Thanks.

No problem. Hope it works out okay for you. If you have any issues
with the instructions I'd like to know about them if you're willing to
share.

--
Jim Perrin
System Administrator - UIT