[OT] Re: [CentOS] Filers, filesystems, etc.

Dave Hornford OSD at HornfordAssociates.com
Wed Nov 9 16:58:18 UTC 2005

Leonard Isham wrote:

>>I will attest that NetApp is an excellent choice. NetApp is more pricey,
>>but they do have an entry level system called the FAS270, which is leaps
>>ahead of an EMC Clarion if you can even compare them, and for the added
>>flexibilty the price is not very much more. I think NetApp pretty much
>>stands alone. I don't think another solution will allow you to do CIFS,
>>NFS, iSCSI, and Fibre Channel all from the same platform, but there may
>>be. I have used the RedHat Clustering solution and it was a hassle.
>>
>>P.s. I have nothing to do with the NetApp company, but I just love their
>>product after having used it in almost every place I have worked at.

My EMC sales guy (who will be here in a bit) is trying to sell me a
Celera NS500 series NAS to front-end a Clarion. I've worked with both
NetApp and Celerra's in the past and prefer the separation in the EMC
model from the disk-subsystem. Both are great for
high-performance/high-availability CIFS/NFS services. Never used either
for iSCSI although that will likely be used on this system as we move
into production.

Dave
www.hornfordassociates.com