[CentOS] Re: OpenFiler (and back on-topic) -- WAS: Filers, filesystems, etc.

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 9 19:41:45 UTC 2005

Josh Kelley <joshkel at gmail.com> wrote:
> How broken?  Any details?

Snapshots are not included in the current LVM2, unlike LVM.

You have to use more of the experimental DeviceMapper (DM)
work going on.  It will eventually be a very powerful
component of kernel 2.6 -- much more than LVM on kernel 2.4.

But until then, avoid DM with snapshots.  ;->

> I found a few comments online that multiple
> snapshots may not work or that snapshotting can be memory
> intensive;

The big issue is that there are many "race conditions" in the
VFS layers related to MD, LVM2, DM, etc... of kernel 2.6.

> will LVM2 snapshots work at all, or am I better off just
> avoiding them for now?

Avoid.

When Red Hat says they are good, they will be included in
their RHEL kernels.  Until then, avoid.  ;->