[CentOS] Java support : is there a native package ?

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Wed Nov 9 19:45:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 01:37:44PM -0600, Les Mikesell enlightened us:
> > On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 15:18 -0400, mbneto wrote:
> > > I was wondering if there is a rpm package for java (jre) to centos 4.x
> > > or do I have to get from sun/ibm/blackdown ?
> > >
> > > tks.
> >
> > Due to licensing issues, we can not distribute JRE rpms.
>
> Could you include the yum or up2date config already set up go
> getting them via jpackage would "just work" with something
> like:
> yum install jre j2re-plugin

Ther are currently no third party yum/up2date configs distributed with
CentOS. That aside, even if you did do so it wouldn't do any good. There
are some free (as in speech) packages on jpackage.org, but the jre stuff is
not so it must be rebuilt. See http://www.jpackage.org/rebuilding.php for
how/why.

Matt

--