[CentOS] Java support : is there a native package ?

Wed Nov 9 21:09:43 UTC 2005

> On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 14:18, Matt Hyclak wrote:
>
> > > OK, so you need a .spec file and a couple of lines of script.  The point
> > > is that the hard and unnecessary part is finding all the stuff yourself
> > > in the first place.  Instead of directions that point to distribution
> > > agnostic and vague directions, why can't we have something that just
> > > installs it for us?
> >
> > Because it's a distribution agnostic process?
>
> So is every other application we have until someone bundles it
> for the distribution.

You are NOT ALLOWED to bundle it for distribution ... it DOES NOT HAVE a
free license that allows that.  If it WERE allowed to be distributed,
then you would be able to install it via yum and it would be part of the
distribution.

It is a SUN issue that we can't build an easily installable RPM and also
meet their licensing requirement.

It isn't like it would be an earth shattering thing to create a SRPM to
make it happen.

The CentOS project IS mindful of the licenses of the software we
distribute ... it might be a pain in the ass sometimes, but we have to
follow the rules.