[CentOS] Java support : is there a native package ?

Ryan ryanag at zoominternet.net
Wed Nov 9 21:51:09 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 15:09, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>

>>It is a SUN issue that we can't build an easily installable RPM and also
>>meet their licensing requirement.
>

> Does the license actually specify that a user has to click their
> download link instead of running a script that uses wget or
> something?  Obviously you can't include their code, but there
> should be a way to reduce the many-step operation with instructions
> that are likely to be out of date with one step that is kept
> current.
>
> --
>    Les Mikesell
>      lesmikesell at gmail.com

It looks like you can distribute it now (this must have just changed)

http://java.com/en/download/license.jsp

"Sun grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license
without fees to reproduce and distribute the Software, provided that (i)
you distribute the Software complete and unmodified and only bundled as
part of, and for the sole purpose of running, your Programs, (ii) the
Programs add significant and primary functionality to the Software,
(iii) you do not distribute additional software intended to replace any
component(s) of the Software, (iv) you do not remove or alter any
proprietary legends or notices contained in the Software, (v) you only
distribute the Software subject to a license agreement that protects
Sun's interests consistent with the terms contained in this Agreement,
and (vi) you agree to defend and indemnify Sun and its licensors from
and against any damages, costs, liabilities, settlement amounts and/or
expenses (including attorneys' fees) incurred in connection with any
claim, lawsuit or action by any third party that arises or results from
the use or distribution of any and all Programs and/or Software."