[CentOS] Rescan harddisk size without rebooting

kadafax kadafax at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 22:16:42 UTC 2005

(I found that the module used was qla6320, dont know if there is an
issue with this but I thought that the qla2200 would be more appropriate
since the host card is a qla200.)
let's go:
Bryan J. Smith wrote:

>kadafax <kadafax at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Quite there: the new size is reflected...but the disks
>>(I've got two virtual disks from the SAN, who are seen like
>>scsi disk by the system) are now described as /dev/sdd and
>>/dev/sde (initialy /dev/sdb and sdc)
>>
> Aww crap.  Yeah, forgot to mention you might need to release
>the previous device assignments.

how to release device assignments? I didn't find any clue on google.

>  Kernel 2.6 (CentOS 4) is
>better at doing that automagically than kernel 2.4 (CentOS
>3).  I assume you're on CentOS 3?

nope CentOS 4.2

>>(below output from a "fdisk -l", the disc which grew is
>>initialy sdb).
>>And a "pvdisplay" do not see any new physical extents
>>available (perhaps I'm missing something on this, I'm
>>totally new from this and way long to be totally cool with
>>it)
>>

>Part of the problem might be because we probably should have
>taken the volume group, and its physical extents, off-line
>before doing the previous.  I should have thought this
>through more, sorry.

( come on :) )
Will this take off-line the physical extents along with the VG? :
---
[root at X ~]# vgchange -a n /dev/VG-B/LV-B
---

>  Although it probably won't be of any
>issue either.
>
>You could run "vgscan" as see what happens.

after the 'vgchange -a n', 'rmmod & modprobe' then the 'vgchange -a y':
---
[root at X ~]#  vgscan
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  Found volume group "VG-C" using metadata type lvm2
  Found volume group "VG-B" using metadata type lvm2
  Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2
---

>>Should I be worried about the "non-valid partition" table
>>message?
>>

>Nope.  Next time you boot, it will self-correct.  LVM is
>self-contained, so the vgscan handles locating all volumes.
>
>>I can use the LV (mount and work with files), so I don't
>>know if it is a problem. Maybe the fact that there is no
>>partition table for fdisk is why I can't make it grow?
>>

>Hmmm, not sure.  Again, maybe a vgscan would correct things?
>

>>I mean, maybe I should have create first one
>>partition (type LVM), then create a second one with the
>>extra size ?
>>Here is what I've done to create the logical volume:
>>---
>>[root at X ~]# pvcreate /dev/sdb
>>

>Well, that won't work because the volumes aren't there on
>/dev/sdb.
>

>>[root at X ~]# vgcreate VG-B /dev/sdb
>>[root at X ~]# lvcreate -l 166911 VG-B -n LV-B
>>// Note: 166911 is the maximum number of physical extents
>>available
>>before the grow
>>[root at X ~]# mkfs.ext3 /dev/VG-B/LV-B
>>---
>>from there I could use the volume.

the above was what I initialy made to create the LV before adding a HD
to the SAN, before trying to expand it without having to reboot.
More details:
In the SAN: 5 then 6 * 250GB HD in one disk pool (RAID 5)
                    2 Virtual disks: 1 * 250GB  <-- VG-C / LV-C
                                              3 * 250GB <-- I've
initialy created the VG-B / LV-B with this capacity

then I added another 250GB HD to the pool and

assigned it to this virtual disk. Now I'm trying to

expand the VG/LV, without rebooting.
(raw available capacity is lesser than 250GB for each disk because in
this SAN (AX100sc) the OS (winXP...) reserve 20GB on the first 3 HD and
since the others are in the same pool, I've "lost" 20GB on each disk
(OT: I found this a little crappy...))

>>---
>>[root at onyx install]# pvdisplay
>>  --- Physical volume ---
>>  PV Name               /dev/sde
>>  VG Name               VG-C
>>  PV Size               217.00 GB / not usable 0
>>  Allocatable           yes (but full)
>>  PE Size (KByte)       4096
>>  Total PE              55551
>>  Free PE               0
>>  Allocated PE          55551
>>  PV UUID
>>w3Q4hA-ALnz-4UuH-fdBB-FGOT-Rn2t-4iG2Vv
>>
>>  --- Physical volume ---
>>  PV Name               /dev/sdd
>>  VG Name               VG-B
>>  PV Size               652.00 GB / not usable 0
>>  Allocatable           yes (but full)
>>  PE Size (KByte)       4096
>>  Total PE              166911
>>  Free PE               0
>>  Allocated PE          166911
>>  PV UUID
>>AFcoa6-6eJl-AAd3-G0Vt-OTXR-niPn-3bTLXu
>>
>>  --- Physical volume ---
>>  PV Name               /dev/sda2
>>  VG Name               VolGroup00
>>  PV Size               136.50 GB / not usable 0
>>  Allocatable           yes
>>  PE Size (KByte)       32768
>>  Total PE              4368
>>  Free PE               1
>>  Allocated PE          4367
>>  PV UUID
>>OjQEXi-u3F8-wCXO-1eZY-W2j0-iZyG-5PwwnB
>>----
>>

>Well, you're volumes are clearly showing up on /dev/sdd and
>sde.  Those are probably the device(s) you have to target for
>expansion.

but the /dev/sdb and sdc are gone, the PV have just followed the shift
of the device assignments and the new available physical extents are not
there. After putting off-line the VG (vgchange -a n) unloading then
with LVM (no new physical extents appeared). How to gain the new extents
within LVM when the HD growed up?

(It's late here in europe, I will be back tomorrow. Thanks again for
support).