[CentOS] [OT] Corporate Firewall

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 10 12:06:40 UTC 2005

"T. V. Sivaraman" <tvsraman at ngri.res.in> wrote:
> We are using SonicWall Pro4060, firewall in our
> organization, National Geophysical Research Institute,
> Hyderabad.

As I mentioned, SonicWall (VxWorks-based) and WatchGuard
(Linux-based) are the "big 2" SMB firewall/VPN vendors for
products costing $200-$5,000.  SonicWall has per-user charges
for many of their features, typically at the 25 and 100 user
price-points.

You'll find most appliances have this as well -- especially
for added features.

> You can try IPCOP or SmoothWall, free downloads, these are
> pretty good also.

Last time I checked, IPCop prefers private IPs.  I could be
wrong though.  And it can be solved with 1:1 NAT and or
SNAT/DNAT public IP pooling options (which might actually be
better than using "raw" public IPs).