[CentOS] [OT] Corporate Firewall -- Network Computing Articles/Reviews ...

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 10 15:02:45 UTC 2005

Just today my publisher has released a new article entitled
"All-in-One Security Appliances":
http://www.networkcomputing.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=172901783

Their interactive guide to various products is here:
http://www.ibg.networkcomputing.com/guide.jhtml?guide_id=160400002

The Cisco ASA 5520 is reviewed here:
http://www.networkcomputing.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=163103868

[ **NOTE:  I've personally used the ATA 5510.  It does the
job, although it's limited as a router in the base package. ]

They also did a series of article at the end of April on more
SMB to enterprise firewalls.  Probably the most interesting
is this feature comparison table between "Branch Office"
firewalls ($1,395-$5,000+) here:
  http://i.cmpnet.com/nc/1608/graphics/1608f4a.gif

Performance comparison here:
  http://i.cmpnet.com/nc/1608/graphics/1608f4b.gif

Some offer routed and/or transparent modes (public subnet
and/or bridged layer-2), as well as NAT.  Some also support
failover -- some for device (device failure), some for
another network (network failure).  All support DMZs, VPNs,
etc..., although with varying support.

The review of the "Branch Office" firewalls starts here:
  http://www.networkcomputing.com/showitem.jhtml?docid=1608f4

About mid-way down, on the left, you'll see links to various
other articles in the series -- including ASIC-based/high-end
"Deep Inspection" solutions, and other discussions on
layer-7/application (typically port 80) filtering/inspection,
etc...

Didn't see a good review of sub-$1,000 solutions at NWC
though.