[CentOS] CentOS 3.5 - CentOS 4.0 - DL145 G2 Boot problem

Barry Brimer barry.brimer at bigfoot.com
Tue Nov 15 07:55:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 11:47 +0530, Unni Krishnan wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I am facing a strange problem .I am unable to install CentOS 4.0 on my
> HP DL145 G2 Server .I am getting the following error
>
> RAMDISK: couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0.
> Please append correct "root=" boot option
> VFS: cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block (3,3)
> Kernal panic - not syncing VFS unable to mount root fs
>

> however CentOS 3.5 installs properly .Can anyone let me why this is
> happening ?

It sounds like your boot media is corrupted.  You might try burning
another copy of Disc 1, or try to boot another machine with the 4.0 CD.
For completeness, try using the 3.5 Boot CD on the server mentioned
above.  The problem should either follow the computer or the CD.  My bet
is on the CD.

Barry