[CentOS] centos 4.x repo on mirrors

Tue Nov 15 10:41:09 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 11:10 +0100, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Farkas Levente wrote:
> > hi,
> > while all the centos 3.x release points to the 3.6 on all mirror sites,
> > the 4.x series still has it's own directory. why are not these just
> > links to 4.2?
> > yours.
>
> I'm not really sure, but I seem to remember that the early 3.x releases
> had the point release in their yum.confi (or $releasever set to 3.2 for
> example), while 4.x always had "4" as $releasever.

correct :)

> So it's sufficient to just let 4/ point to the current version, while
> on 3.x you have to be prepared that someone decides to update his 3.1
> box ...

The 4.0 and now 4.1 trees just have a message that the tree is dead.

This will cause anyone pointing to the 4.0 or 4.1 tree to have yum
errors after the switch.  While people with the default /4/ update OK.

This allows people, who for some reason do not want to upgrade to the
next 4.x release, to stay at the current level and not get newer
updates.

For people who want the latest with auto upgrades, always point
to /4/ ...

For people who don't ... point to 4.x and then you can use
vault.centos.org after a tree is moved.