[CentOS] Beware - Yum 3.5 to 3.6 upgrade replaces named.conf -- not a YUM issue ...

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 15 19:48:52 UTC 2005

Michael Rock <mikerocks65 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> So looked like another smooth ride, well until today I
> noticed my domains dropped off the net. Too bad I did
> not check the bind gui or look at /etc/named.conf
> after the yum update since it was replaced with a
> generic version from 3.6.
> Luckily I copied /etc/named.conf-rpmsave to named.conf
> and I am back in business, well at least in 24 to 72
> hours for the rest of the world :(

Has nothing to do with YUM.
It has to do with RPM.

If the changes in a package are significant enough, then any
existing configuration files are renamed ".rpmsave" and new
ones take their place.

If the changes are not significant enough that the existing
configuration files will work, the new ones are added with
".rpmnew".

This is how it has been for a long, long time in the RHL
world.

Now I agree you should _never_ see this out of a RHEL/CentOS
update.  That's the whole purpose of backporting changes in
RHEL/CentOS updates -- to _avoid_ this from every occurring.

But apparently it did.