[CentOS] Beware - Yum 3.5 to 3.6 upgrade replaces named.conf

Robert roberth at abbacomm.net
Tue Nov 15 20:15:57 UTC 2005

} Michael Rock wrote:
}
} You get so used to yum upgrades going so smoothly but
} I learned the hard way to always make a thorough
} inspection after a yum update.  I let yum go ahead and
} upgrade from 3.5 to 3.6.  Afterwards I made some basic
} queries to httpd, postfix and bind named (probably a
} cached query). I even checked the /var/named/
} directory and saw all my hosts files.
}
} So looked like another smooth ride, well until today I
} noticed my domains dropped off the net. Too bad I did
} not check the bind gui or look at /etc/named.conf
} after the yum update since it was replaced with a
} generic version from 3.6.
}
} Luckily I copied /etc/named.conf-rpmsave to named.conf
} and I am back in business, well at least in 24 to 72
} hours for the rest of the world :(
}

interesting, on a CentOS 4.1 chroot nameserver i did a

yum upgrade yum

"only" here some time ago and did not experience this issue.

i have not done any upgrades since 4.2 was released other than the yum
upgrade though.

this is just FYI

 - rh

--