[CentOS] Beware - Yum 3.5 to 3.6 upgrade replaces named.conf

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 21:21:20 UTC 2005

On 11/15/05, Michael Rock <mikerocks65 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Ok guys ... this is ONLY an issue IF you have
> > caching-nameserver AND
> > bind installed ... and if you used the named.conf
> > from caching-
> > nameserver.
> >
> > RH says to NOT install caching-nameserver and a real
> > name server on the
> > same machine ...
> >

> Excuse my ignorance on this subject, been looking for
> a link that explains the policy and why?  Right now I
> have primary and secondary name servers hosting many
> domains and web server applications that need to
> resolve DNS from these servers.  Then I have a handful
> of workstations that use these servers for regular DNS
> queries.
>
> This will be significant work/expense and to find
> space for it just to separate the caching name server
> to a separate box just so the stations can have DNS
> queries.
>
> Been doing it this way for years without a problem, so
> any info you can pass on.

Best documentation I can find is from one a redhatter who closed one
of the caching-nameserver issues as not-a-bug. his explanation follows
thusly:

This is not an issue with the bind-* package, but with the
caching-nameserver package.

No bind-* package supplies any named configuration files,
unless none exist on the system, when only rndc.conf, rndc.key,
and the bare minimum named.conf sufficient to allow named to
run are installed.

When you install the 'caching-nameserver' package, which consists
entirely of the named configuration files, you are asking for
a caching-nameserver named configuration to be installed.

If you want to customize your named configuration files, and run
something other / more than a caching-only nameserver, uninstall
the caching-nameserver package.

Unless caching-nameserver replaces any existing named configuration
files on installation / upgrade, there would be no way of guaranteeing
after installation that a caching-nameserver was in place afterwards,
and no way of upgrading these configuration files.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT