[CentOS] Turning root partition into a RAID array **THE BACKGROUND**

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 15 22:26:35 UTC 2005

Nigel kendrick <support-lists at petdoctors.co.uk> wrote:
> Bryan wants a bit more insight:

I'm a demanding SOB, aren't I?  ;->

> System was running Centos 3 and had 3 PATA drives - one
> containing root, boot, swap and then a mirrored pair for
our
> data ... The mirrored pair were running off a PCI
controller
> with an ITE 8212 chipset which was a real pain in in the
ass
> to get going ...

Yep, I think I remember a discussion on that chip -- a really
low-cost, but true RAID-1 hardware logic chip with just
enough SRAM, ~32KiB, to store 1 block transfer.

> Anyway, along comes Mr Electrical Inspection and -
allegedly -
> leaves the server well alone ...

Yeah, I know how that goes.  Long ago I learned to put in
12000-25000VA units in my areas after someone called out
electrical one day.

I've never used the 8212, so I don't know how it is for
RAID-1.
I really avoid anything but 3Ware, mainly because of my past
experiences/trust.  But that's just me.

I keep putting off testing a NetCell SR5000, largely because
it has virtually no user-space support in Linux.

> That's it - all that's left to do it mirror the current
> (one) drive as mentioned in my original email.
> Hope that's all clear.

Yep, thanx for reminding me where you were coming from.