[CentOS] How to properly install VLC?

Olaf Greve

o.greve at axis.nl
Thu Nov 17 09:08:51 UTC 2005

Hi all,

My colleagues and friends from time to time send me .wmv files and I'd
like to be able to view them under CentOS.

VLC was recommended to me, and AFAIR about a half year ago I tried
installing it. I don't remember the exact details, but I do remember
that the Red Hat and Fedora binary distributions didn't work without
giving all sorts of errors. I _think_ I then did a source compilation,
and managed to get VLC at least to start up from the command line.

However... It is still a brute text interface only, and when I try to
add a wmv file to the playlist it gives me all sorts of errors and
nagging about 'file format probably not supported' etc. :(

I just tried to install the Red Hat binary distribution again from
FireFox (from: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/), and I didn't see it
complain about anything, but still it doesn't work any differently from
the above. :(((

Does anyone know how to go about this (I don't mind doing a source
compilation, just as long as I now which version to grab and how to get
it properly installed)?

Cheers,
Olafo