[CentOS] Custom kernel RPM/SRPM

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 13:22:21 UTC 2005

On 11/17/05, Giovanni P. Tirloni <gpt at tirloni.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I've built customs kernels from the SRPMs with the following:
>
>    rpmbuild -bp --target=i686 /path/to/spec
>    cd /usr/src
>    ln -s /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-x.y.z/linux-x.y.z linux
>    cd linux
>    make oldconfig
>    make menuconfig
>    make all
>    make modules
>    make modules_install
>
>   And it works just fine. The problem now is that I think installing
> that way isn't "cool": I wan to build my own custom kernel RPM/SRPM.
>
>   I thought about doing a "rpmbuild -bp" and change the options. Then a
> "rpmbuild -bc --short-circuit" and a "rpmbuild -bi --short-circuit".
>
>   What's the correct way of doing this?
>
> Thanks in advance,

Pardon me while I pull out Bryan J Smith's soap box for a minute (I'm
SORRY... I couldn't resist. It's nothing personal Bryan.. just felt
like some pre-coffee humor this morning) and preach about NOT
REBUILDING your own enterprise kernel. I won't preach too much though,
as you're on the right track with it. The best how-to that I'm aware
of so far is currently here ->
http://crab-lab.zool.ohiou.edu/kevin/kernel-compilation-tutorial-en/
and details the basic steps you should take.

/BJS flamesuit ON!

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT