[CentOS] Custom kernel RPM/SRPM

Thu Nov 17 13:23:53 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 10:03 -0200, Giovanni P. Tirloni wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I've built customs kernels from the SRPMs with the following:
>
>    rpmbuild -bp --target=i686 /path/to/spec
>    cd /usr/src
>    ln -s /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-x.y.z/linux-x.y.z linux
>    cd linux
>    make oldconfig
>    make menuconfig
>    make all
>    make modules
>    make modules_install
>
>   And it works just fine. The problem now is that I think installing
> that way isn't "cool": I wan to build my own custom kernel RPM/SRPM.
>
>   I thought about doing a "rpmbuild -bp" and change the options. Then a
> "rpmbuild -bc --short-circuit" and a "rpmbuild -bi --short-circuit".
>
>   What's the correct way of doing this?

I would just copy the modified config files and replace the kenrel
config files in SOURCES/

then do:

(after you modify the spec, if you want)

you might want to do xxxxx.EL.yourname for the kernel name, maybe not.
Also might want to NOT build kernels youi don't care about (like
highmem) by changing the required variables.

rpmbuild -bs --target xxxx kernel-2.6.spec

(gives you new SRPM (run from SPECS/ dir)

Then you can rebuild the binary kernel with:

rpmbuild -bb --target xxxx kernel-2.6.spec

OR

rpmbuild --rebuild --target xxxx new_kernel_name.src.rpm