[CentOS] PostgreSQL 8.1 on CentOS4

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Nov 19 01:46:10 UTC 2005

On Friday 18 November 2005 15:42, James B. Byrne wrote:
> I have discovered that the default init script distributed with
> pgsql v8.1 sets the listening port to 5432 but does not enable
> tcp/ip connections.  One must add the -i switch to the invocation
> line in the script.

Oh, I forgot to mention one detail you will want to know about.  The
initscript will get overwritten the next time you upgrade the RPM (it is not
a configuration file, after all, but a program and part of the package and
subject to change from time to time).  Thus if your postmaster quits
responding when you upgrade next, you'll know why.

For those using the regular CentOS PostgreSQL (either CentOS 3 or 4) if you
add the -i in the initscript be prepared for a yum update to change it back
(the initscript is NOT a configuration  file, but part of the program
itself.  /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf is the correct place, and will
never be overwritten as the RPM is currently written unless you run an initdb
(which creates that file from the postgresql.conf.sample template).
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology