[CentOS] [OT][Practices] The Case for RBAC/MAC

Sam Drinkard sam at wa4phy.net
Sat Nov 19 03:07:28 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 19:09 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 20:29 -0500, Sam Drinkard wrote:
> > Lamar Owen wrote:

> > >The Windows box that just got infected from a floppy disk, CD, or other media,
> > >and it is inside your firewall (if you have one).  Of course, if all your
> > >systems are embedded, or have no network connections, then there is no
> > >attacker in the traditional sense.
> > >
> > >However, SELinux can provide more protection than that, perhaps even
> > >preventing a bug in the code that's running from blowing away critical files,
> > >for a possible (even if not probable) example.
> > >

> > I'd like to interject here.. this thread has really gone off the deep
> > end, but just chew on this for a little while, and perhaps something
> > good will come out of it.  99% of the time, people get agitated,
> > aggrivated, or ill about things that 1., they have no control over, and
> > 2., in all likelyhood, 99% of the time, those 99% of events will *NEVER*
> > have any impact on you, *so* why even worry with it ?  Personal feelings
> > never solve anything unless you happen to be husband and wife, and I
> > don't think any of you fit that category.  It's time to move on to other
> > topics, if this thread has not run everybody off already.
> ----
> and I'd like to interject here...
>
> I am quite certain that few if any minds are changed by these debates
> but I think that it's arbitrary and unfair for some to express their
> opinions and then someone decides that they can cut off debate because
> they aren't interested.
>
> I presume you know how to delete emails that are on topics that you
> aren't interested in.
>
> Everyone should get the opportunity to speak their piece - regardless of
> whether you agree or not, and if you're not interested in the
> thread...just delete it.
>
> Craig

Craig, it's not about being interested or disinterested.  The discussion
has completely turned into a urinating contest between those that will
and those that won't.  Yes, I know how to delete things, but is still
fills up the mailbox with unnecessary chatter.  I don't think I'm alone
in wanting the thread to go away either.  3 or 4 days worth is enough.
Take it to personal e-mail.  I'm in learning stages with CentOS and
linux in general.  I sure can't learn anything from this conversation
other than who can create the longest post.

Sam