[CentOS] Re: Bad disk?

Morten lists at kikobu.com
Sun Nov 20 12:56:33 UTC 2005

>>hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
>>hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=11242764,
>>high=0, low=11242764, sector=11242760
>

> I have seen several causes for this; three of the most common are:
> 1.)	A failing disk; run 'smartctl -a' and see what SMART tells you about the
> disk's health;

SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

But the report does contain records of errors, eg.:

Error 5 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 18734 hours (780 days + 14
hours)
   When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was
active or idle.

   After command completion occurred, registers were:
   ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
   -- -- -- -- -- -- --
   40 51 03 0d 13 ac e0  Error: UNC 3 sectors at LBA = 0x00ac130d = 11277069

> 3.)	A corrupted filesystem that has linkages outside the drive's boundaries;
> if the drive tries to seek past the end of the disk you get this.  The LBA
> numbers you have would seem to rule this out, but you didn't say how big the
> disk was.

It's a 36G disk.

> In short, an UncorrectableError is exactly what it says it is; it couldn't
> read a sector it tried to read.

Thanks. I'll probably replace the disk.

Br,

Morten