[CentOS] Highpoint Rocketraid 2240 -- FRAID (and not as good as RAIDCore)

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 21 02:53:19 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 17:52 -0500, Chris Mauritz wrote:
> Has anyone on the list used one of these w/Linux?  We currently use
> Linux + Cinelerra for editing uncompressed video (and a few dual G5 macs
> running Final Cut Pro).  Current editing stations are getting a bit long
> in the tooth so I've been mulling over a mass upgrade.  8-)
> These cards are interesting to me because they are PCI-X and support 4
> SATAII drives per multilane/infiniband connector for a total of 16
> drives.  Multilane is interesting to me because the editor can use a SFF
> system (tiny desktop footprint) with 1M multilane cables talking to the
> pile of disks in an external enclosure stashed out of the way with its
> own redundant power supply.  I was going to just order some multilane
> 3Ware cards, but one of my more technically inclined video editors
> suggested this card.

The 2220 and 2240 are _FRAID_.  No hardware.

Now these aren't the first software/host-based, 4-16 channel PCI-X SATA
RAID solutions to ever be introduced.  Broadcom has its RAIDCore series
as well.  But _unlike_ the Broadcom products, which actually have some
good software features (even for Linux), HighPoint seems to skimp on
software design.  They are rather simplistic in design and support
(e.g., no multiple card support).

Tom's Hardware didn't do any performance benchmarks, and what they did
was very minimal.  But they did do some queuing and other load testing.
The RocketRAID 2220 they tried _tanked_ compared to even the RAIDCore.
http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20051031/the_death_knell_for_scsi_raid-12.html

If you really want to save money, consider the Broadcom RAIDCore instead
of the HighPoint RocketRAID series.  Or get a real hardware card for a
few bucks more.

-- Bryan

P.S.  In case you haven't heard, SATA-II is more "marketing" like USB
2.0.  You can't actually get 3GHz (300GBps) _unless_ it is SATA-IO.
Just like you can't get 480Mbps (60MBps) out of USB 2.0 unless it is a
EHCI controller.

"Serial Storage is the Future ..."
  http://thebs413.blogspot.com/2005/08/serial-storage-is-future.html

--