[CentOS] problem with yum

Mon Nov 21 13:07:43 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 08:27 -0500, Roger D Vargas wrote:

> Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 10:09 -0500, Roger D Vargas wrote:
>

> >>The proxy is open for that server. I can download the file using wget.
> >>And the problem still persists today.
> >>

> > Yum doesn't work well with transparent proxies
> >
> > you can set proxy info within the etc/yum.conf file ...
> >
> > see "man yum.conf" for proxy info
> The same problem.

Ok guys ... mirror.centos.org is a RRDNS set of mirrors that are
controlled by CentOS.org.

If you are in the US or EU, you probably will be OK using it.

If you are behind a transparent proxy server, maybe not so well.  Also
if you are not in the US or EU you might have timeout issues.

For anyone having problems, the best thing to do is to move to mirrors
that are closer to you ...

You can find a mirror at:

http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=13

These mirrors are not controlled by CentOS, but you may find that you
get better performance by using one of these mirrors ... especially
during a new update set release cycle.

You would edit the file /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo (or remark out
those entries in CentOS-Base.repo and add a new .repo file) and change
the baseurl= to point to the new directory on the closest mirrors.