[CentOS] GDM problem

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 13:47:48 UTC 2005

On 11/21/05, Jack Bailey <jack at internetguy.net> wrote:
> Sudev Barar wrote:
>
> >>Went to login to the console this morning and got few errors about bad
> >>PNG files.  Logged out, now I can't log back in.  The lone dialog box
> >>has the following:
> >>
> >>There was an error loading the theme Default
> >>Couldn't recognize the image file format for file
> >>'/usr/share/gdm/themes/Default/background.png'
> >>
> >>I click OK, nothing happens.
> >>

> >If you can boot of any live cd you can then edit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf
> >Go the line which has the above path and comment it out. Likely this would work.
> >

> /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf?  I looked at that for awhile, and for grins I
> changed:
>
> GraphicalTheme=Default
>
> to:
>
> GraphicalTheme=Bluecurve
>
> It's now complaining about icon-language.png instead of background.png.

In my book that is progress. First make sure that the directory
/usr/share/gdm/themes/Default exists. If not then what some else
mentioned yum upgrade gdm is your answer.
If it does then you need to work out why permissions or such are being denied.

The file is very well commented. You can find a line saying something
about greeter? change this to standard instead of graphic. See the
line which pertains to remote greeter.

HTH
--
Sudev Barar