[CentOS] Problem when booting CentOS on ALpha Server.

Pasi Pirhonen upi at iki.fi
Wed Nov 23 01:15:33 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 07:32:47PM -0500, israel.garcia at cimex.com.cu wrote:
> List, I've just installed CentOS 4.2 (alpha) on a ES40, 4 processor 833
> MHz, 2 GB ram and when I rebooted the server it simple didn't boot...
>
> Any ideas of my problem?

Most propably you didn't leave one cylinder free space for aboot at the
begining of the disk. One must start with 'edit' on free space and make
the first parition start from at least 1, which should leave several
megabytes free space at begining of the disk. I do remember aboot
taking some 1MB and cylinder usually is 7MB, so leaving one cyl is
enought.

--
Pasi Pirhonen - upi at iki.fi - http://iki.fi/upi/