[CentOS] [Hardware] Good Server I/O on-the-cheap: ASL Monarch 811x with CentOS 4.2 ...

Paul subsolar at subsolar.com
Wed Nov 23 04:55:18 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 23:14 -0500, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 20:52 -0600, Paul wrote:
> > The Sun Fire x2100 looks to be in about the same ballpark features &
> > price wise, though I admit I did not look that close into the specs.
>
> The SunFire x2100 uses the nForce4 Ultra -- a desktop chipset!
> _No_ PCI-X and only PCIe.  It's definitely _not_ a server chipset.
> Especially it's GbE -- it has only a very small SRAM cache.
<SNIP>
> ServerWorks was originally Reliance Computer Corporation (RCC).  Before
> entering the retail circuit in the ServerSet III, they designed/licensed
> most of the Tier-1 chipsets for 2 and 4-way Pentium Pro and Pentium II
> systems.

I looked on Sun's website at the specs for the server and it did not
mention the chipset it used.  I thought since it featured PCIe rather
than PCI-X for it's expansion slot it might be a desktop/workstation
chipset.

Thanks for the info, that scratches that off the list.  The one that
started the thread looks interesting.

Shame nobody makes a 1U with 3Ware embedded on the board (that I'm aware
of).

Regards,
Paul