[CentOS] RHEL3 --> CentOS3 HP proliant 380

Wed Nov 23 10:42:13 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 10:05 +0100, Peter van Eck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a HP 380 G2 which is running RHEL AS 3 Taroon update 1.
>
> The current smp kernel 2.4.21-9smp is booting with a HPinitrd image.
> Mostlikely generated with the HP proliant Service Pack  for RHEL 3.
>
> Now if I migrate this system to CentOS 3 and a new kernel will be
> installed ,will that work ? Does the new centOS kernel use the same
> config as the current RHEL kernel ?
>
> Anyone done this before ?
>
> I don't have access to the console so can't take too much risk here..
>
> thanks,
>
> Peter

When CentOS-3.1 came out, we did our kernels differently (we had a c0 in
the name then).  Also, the kernel we used was a bug fixed kernel
kernel-2.4.21-9.0.1.EL.c0.i686.rpm .  If you don't want to upgrade your
kernel, you can add:

exclude=kernel*

in your /etc/yum.conf file later on (if you choose to use CentOS)

Are you doing any upgrades to that system (you should be if it is
touching the internet :)  If you are using up2date to update your
system, using CentOS is easy.  If you are not, it is going to be harder.
(BTW, if you are not updating the system at all, you can just run what
you currently have).

If you are not upgrading it at RH, but you want to have CentOS (and stay
at the update 1 level) you can get what we initially released for by 3.1
buy going here:

http://vault.centos.org/3.1-final/os/i386/

In the RedHat/RPMS directory there 3 files you would need
yum-2.0.5-1.centos.2.noarch.rpm , centos-release-3.1-1.i386.rpm , and
centos-yumcache-3.1-0.20040318.3.noarch.rpm

You would need to download those and install them via RPM.

You would need to then edit the file /etc/yum.conf

add the line:

exclude=kernel*

And then remark out everything except [base] and [addons] (including
updates if you don't want updated from the EL3 update 1 level).

Also change the paths to:

[base]
baseurl=http://vault.centos.org/3.1-final/os/$basearch/

[addons]
baseurl=http://vault.centos.org/3.1-final/addons/$basearch/

With kernel excluded and those items set, you should get the files
updated that CentOS has had to change for artwork reasons, etc. ... but
still be at the 3.1 (ie EL3 update 1) level of packages.

If you have been doing updates from up2date, you need to do some things
differently, so let us know.