[CentOS] Desktop media apps query

Paul subsolar at subsolar.com
Thu Nov 24 03:05:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 09:13 +1100, Tim Edwards wrote:
> Jim Perrin wrote:
>

> > MS TrueType Fonts are no longer available, and there's a mess of
> > licensing restriction surrounding them. Basically you can't get them
> > anymore unless you know how to do it yourself.
> >
> > See http://www.microsoft.com/truetype/fontpack/win.htm for details.
>
> The MS TrueType fonts are available here:
> http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/ in a nice easy-to-install package.
> Apparently at one time the fonts were available under a licence which
> wasn't too restrictive so you can still use these ones under that
> non-restrictive licence.

IIRC the main restrictions was that they could only be distributed in
their original .EXE installers and could not be shipped as part of a
collection.

Corefonts gets around the issues by having the .spec file download and
extract the fonts out of .EXEs downloaded from the SF site and building
a local rpm that you can install but not distribute.

I've used it in the past and it works pretty well.

Regards,
Paul