[CentOS] A minor beef

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 25 17:51:08 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 16:31 +0100, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Hm, no problems with updates via normal 4.2 repo config here.

Which is why I asked what someone has hoped to accomplish.
There are few specifics that have been listed.

1)  Most people, Kai and myself included, have had few issues -- other
than the earliest 4.2 rebuild (CentOS) that I didn't have with RHEL 4U2.

2)  Repository hell affects _most_ other package distros, including
Debian.  Ubuntu and other Debian-based distros get around them by
including software that may not be legally redistributed.

3)  Gentoo is a ports distro, and sacrifices fixed releases and
configuration management for source-level compatibility.  Which is
better, I will not say, but for rolling out many systems, Gentoo adds
additional configuration management burden for myself.

So in the end, you want to reduce many factors into a single
"frustration" of "just fix it" -- when I've seen little of any
suggestion.

Which is why you are correct, we've exhausted this thread.  You've
admitted you don't understand how several things work with regards to
redistribution.  So it doesn't surprise me that these comments keep
coming from people who do not.

--
Bryan J. Smith   b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com