[CentOS] A minor beef

Sam Drinkard sam at wa4phy.net
Fri Nov 25 22:46:10 UTC 2005

Bryan J. Smith wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 13:10 -0700, Collins Richey wrote:
>

>>I haven't experience repository hell, at least not in the single
>>instance of retrieval hell I cited for CentOS yesterday, with Ubuntu.
>>

>And what repositories are you using outside of Ubuntu's repositories?
>I assume you're just using Ubuntu's official repositories, because they
>include all sorts of things that CentOS does not.
>
>You don't get repository hell from just the official project's
>repositories.  You start experiencing repository hell when you add
>repositories.

<much drivel snipped>

Bryan,

    I think what Collins was attempting and, in my book did so very well
after the 2nd round of responses indicates that the whole problem is of
a mechanical nature, just as he stated.  You can't obtain *anything* if
the connection is not there, whether it be legal, illegal, a port, a
binary, a source or anything else.  The circuit lets him down.  That was
pretty obvious.  He also stated in his post that he did not have a
solution, but wondered if adding equipment would help.  I don't know how
in the world these simple topics get so convoluted and involved when a
simple statement and observation are made.  Others may or may not have
connectivity problems such as he.  I have seen my share of connectivity
problems myself, but if it does not work this time, I wait and try again
later.  There is *nothing* in the whole CentOS distribution that I
*have* to have immediately.  Maybe nice, but the world is not going to
stop if I don't get it.

    Collins, I hope I didn't misquote your initial post, but it was
pretty simple for me to see it was a connectivity issue, and not at all
related to repositories, ports, and sources.

'nuff said......

--
Snowman