[CentOS] A minor beef

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 03:03:30 UTC 2005

On 11/25/05, Bryan J. Smith <thebs413 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> So what's the problem that prompts you to bring up another distros in
> comparison?

Very simple. No hangups in the update retrieval process. In the one
case after 3-4 years experience, in the other case after 6 months
experience. As I have attempted to make clear at ervery turn to put
this thread back on track, this has absolutely nothing to do with the
merits of or the package selection philosophy of any these distros.
Nor is it to be interpreted as any sort of putdown for CentOS. Nor is
it intended to be the basis for any Red Hat vs. CentOS wrangling. It
is merely a description of a "mechanical" problem on the one hand and
the absence of this type of "mechanical" problem on the other hand.
The hope being, in the long run, that this type of information could
be of benefit to CentOS in providing good delivery to all.

At least one respondent understood what I was trying to say from the getgo.

As Johnny noted in his most recent posts, this could be difficulty in
reaching one or more of the servers in the normal rotation from my
site Or it could be something in my yum or repos setup.

Also, Jim was kind enough to point out the yum plugin fastmirrors.

My thanks to all who understood what I was trying to accomplish. I
will make the changes Johnny recommended, and I will investigate the
yum plugin.

--
Collins Richey
      Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code ... If you write