[CentOS] 3ware RAID controller scripts

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 28 05:41:43 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-27 at 21:10 -0500, Bob Lewkowitz wrote:
> Hello list, I see through the archives that some people here use 3ware
> RAID controllers with Centos. I have picked up two 9500S-4LP
> controllers for future servers. I was hoping that if some people could
> please share their 3ware monitoring scripts with the rest of the
> group.
> What I am really hoping to do is have some setup where a cron
> job runs scripts to test each of the drives connected to the
> controller to make sure they are not going to break any time soon and
> then check the health of the array itself. I am used to using smartd
> for basic SCSI and IDE drives but not connected to this adapter.

3Ware's 3DM2 software does this for you.  It's quite powerful.  ;->

  http://www.3ware.com/support/download.asp?code=9&id=9.2.1.1&softtype=3DM2+Management+Utility

> Any good souls out there want to spread the knowledge?

You can still trap the error messages the kernel sends to syslog.  But I
highly recommend you load 3DM2 instead.  It lets you do a lot of things.
And because of how the 3Ware card operates, it lets you avoid having to
send signals or traps to the kernel to do things (e.g., hotplug _never_
touches system hardware, it's all controlled by the on-board 3Ware
intelligence).

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
http://thebs413.blogspot.com