[CentOS] cdrecord Error (Permissions?) [SOLVED]

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 28 17:52:09 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 10:57 -0600, Alex White wrote:
> Thanks Bryan and Ralph. Suid was set on cdrecord, I believe I did
> this on accident while testing something out with cdrecord and
> basically shot myself in the foot. Thats what happens when you
> follow a guide without question.

The kernel 2.6.8.x suid root security change is one of the most widely
mis-understood changes.  It doesn't help that Jorg (who I normally
respect) says the kernel is broken, when it is is anything but broken.

I discovered that suid wasn't set on cdrecord in Fedora Core 1 when I
was trying to record something remotely -- so the user didn't have
device access, like in the past on RHL8/9.  So I then did a comparison
of suid between RHL8/9 and FC1 and saw all the things suid root had been
removed from.

One of the two largest complaints about RHL prior to FC was the number
of binaries suid root (the other being stupid inter-dependencies in the
base packages).  So I was surprised to see that cleaned up in FC1, and
did some research confirming the "new attitude."

> Appreciate the information and help. That was very informative
> Bryan, much obliged.

I was traveling and local to a LUG that was very anti-Red Hat, heavy
Fedora bashers (this was when Fedora Core 2 had been released -- with
all the heavy GCC, GLibC and kernel changes).  It was a real vindication
to say, "hey, Red Hat got it right with Fedora, they're listening!"

BTW, the simple "fix" is always (on any other distro):
  # chmod u-s `which cdrecord`

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
http://thebs413.blogspot.com