[CentOS] A minor beef

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 29 15:21:33 UTC 2005

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2005-November/000947.html
> will also help with the issue of third party repos updating
> core components.
> If you use this plugin and set all the centos repos to:
> protect=1
> and set your 3rd party repos to
> protect=0
> You will prevent upgrades of core components ...

Excellent!  I did not know about this YUM plug-in.  Yet
another thing to go into the generic Enterprise Linux
Manager's FAQ yet to be released.

> This might cause an error IF a core component HAS to be
> upgraded to meet a valid dependency ...

But as long as it causes an error, I know about it.  That's
fine by me, I can manually resolve things in such cases.

> but then you could manually do those and exclude
> them from the core centos repo ... and from that point
> forward, get those from the 3rd party repo.

Exactly.  Is there any chance that the plug-in won't catch
something?  Or is it pretty absolute, and will always error
out?

Again, that's the desired result I want.  I don't want it
blindly replacing core repository packages.