[CentOS] CentOS 4 and Intel Wireless 2200BG (ipw2200)

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 11:47:12 UTC 2005

On 11/29/05, Barry Brimer <barry.brimer at bigfoot.com> wrote:
> I am going to be setting up an Intel 2200bg card this evening.  I was
> wondering if anyone is using this (successfully) with CentOS 4.  The
> directions look straightforward, but please let me know if you had to do
> anything interesting/undocumented to make it work.  I am also wondering
> if people are using the driver provided with the current CentOS 4 kernel
> or if people are using the most recent version, and if so are you using
> the one from ipw2200.sourceforge.net or from intel.com
>
> Thanks,
> Barry

The module for making the card work is already in centos, you should
simply need the firmware package from ipw2200.sourceforge.net. Some
cards will cause issues and require the newer module though. My dell
inspiron 9300 required me to rebuild the ieee80211 and ipw2200 drivers
from the latest source. For most other things, the stock package
package works fine. While you can use the atrpms packages, I would not
recommend it. That repository has caused issues and breakage in the
past. Handle with care.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT