[CentOS] clicking backspace in centos3 makes ^?

Tony Schreiner schreian at bc.edu
Wed Nov 30 17:02:46 UTC 2005

On Nov 30, 2005, at 11:53 AM, Robin Mordasiewicz wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Jim Perrin wrote:
>
>> On 11/30/05, Robin Mordasiewicz <robin at bullseye.tv> wrote:
>>> While in centos3, using vim and clicking the backspace I see the ^?
>>> character instead of it actually deleteing the previous character.
>>>
>>> In centos4 this was not a problem.
>>>
>>> I have rad about remapping keys and such, but can someone tell me
>>> what
>>> the difference between centos4 and centos3 is so I can make the
>>> change
>>> to make it work on centos3.
>>>

>> This isn't a problem with centos3, but rather with your terminal
>> emulator. How are you accessing the system?
>>

> I connect with Putty, and then I execute "screen -D -R"
> from my screen session I ssh to my boxes.
>
> from the box I run vim on...
>
> [root at smtcorav02 SPECS]# echo $TERM
> screen
>

> Should I be adding a termcap for screen or something ?

If you type
stty -a
at your remote login, it will tell you what character is being
interpreted as erase. I'm guessing, that it is set to ^H, but putty
has set your erase character to ^?. So there is a mismatch.

I don't have putty, but I bet you can set it in the terminal
emulation preferences. Or alternatively you can set it at your remote
session with the command
stty erase YOURCHOICE

where YOURCHOICE is probably ^H  (literally ^ and H)

Tony