[CentOS] Building rpms

Wed Nov 30 18:53:37 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 11:28 -0500, Matt Hyclak wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 11:16:08AM -0500, Bowie Bailey enlightened us:
> > From: Matt Hyclak [mailto:hyclak at math.ohiou.edu]
> > >
> > > On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 11:05:48AM -0500, Bowie Bailey enlightened us:

> > work
> > >
> > > Rebuild from src.rpm.
> >
> > Ok, tried that...
> >
> > $ rpmbuild --rebuild openldap-2.3.11-3.src.rpm
> > Installing openldap-2.3.11-3.src.rpm
> > error: Failed build dependencies:
> >         bind-libbind-devel is needed by openldap-2.3.11-3.x86_64
> >         libtool-ltdl-devel is needed by openldap-2.3.11-3.x86_64
> >
> > # yum install bind-libbind-devel libtool-ltdl-devel
> > Setting up Install Process
> > Setting up repositories
> > update                    100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> > base                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
> > addons                    100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> > extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
> > Reading repository metadata in from local files
> > Parsing package install arguments
> > No Match for argument: bind-libbind-devel
> > No Match for argument: libtool-ltdl-devel
> > Nothing to do
> >
> > Where do I find these two?  Do they have different names with CentOS,
> > or do I have to get them from elsewhere?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bowie
>
> You'll probably have to get them from the FC Development repository as well.
> You're probably looking at the bind and libtool srpms, if I had to guess.
> If you're lucky, those two won't depend on too much else, otherwise you'll
> spiral quickly into dependency hell.

What is the purpose of the LDAP upgrade ... if it is security you are
worried about ... those get in there.

See this:
http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_backport.html

When you start changing major components, you greatly reduce the
stability of CentOS for yourself ... and you ruin the system
interoperability.