[CentOS] Building rpms

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Wed Nov 30 20:27:25 UTC 2005

> On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 11:28 -0500, Matt Hyclak wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 11:16:08AM -0500, Bowie Bailey enlightened us:
> > > From: Matt Hyclak [mailto:hyclak at math.ohiou.edu]

> > > Ok, tried that...
> > >
> > > $ rpmbuild --rebuild openldap-2.3.11-3.src.rpm
> > > Installing openldap-2.3.11-3.src.rpm
> > > error: Failed build dependencies:
> > >         bind-libbind-devel is needed by openldap-2.3.11-3.x86_64
> > >         libtool-ltdl-devel is needed by openldap-2.3.11-3.x86_64
> > >
> > > Where do I find these two?  Do they have different names with CentOS,
> > > or do I have to get them from elsewhere?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Bowie
> >
> > You'll probably have to get them from the FC Development repository as
well.
> > You're probably looking at the bind and libtool srpms, if I had to
guess.
> > If you're lucky, those two won't depend on too much else, otherwise
you'll
> > spiral quickly into dependency hell.
> >

> What is the purpose of the LDAP upgrade ... if it is security you are
> worried about ... those get in there.
>
> See this:
> http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_backport.html
>
> When you start changing major components, you greatly reduce the
> stability of CentOS for yourself ... and you ruin the system
> interoperability.

The purpose is extra features.

Mainly, we are having problems with reliability.  Twice now, when the
system has crashed, the database was corrupted.  The scary thing is
that both times the database was completely idle when this happened.

Version 2.3 fixes a problem with the database checkpoint command and
also allows for an automatic database recover on startup.  Hopefully,
this will at least allow us to recover more easily in the case of a
crash.

We are also looking at updating Berkely DB to see if that would help.

Bowie