[CentOS] Recommendation(s)

Sam Drinkard

sam at wa4phy.net
Sat Oct 1 02:15:32 UTC 2005

List,

    It looks like I may have to drop back to a 32-bit version of the OS
due to some non-resolvable library issues for the software I'm
attempting to compile, and want to ask, how far back can I go with
CentOS where I'd not lose too much functionality of the 4.1 version.
Essentially what I need is the equivalent of RHES 3.  The other thing
I'd thought about would be to install the needed gnu library, but in a
non-standard place, like /home/sam or some other user directory.  Since
the software only needs this at runtime and not during linking, I don't
see what It would bother.  Given that idea, how would I use RPM to
install that library ?  I read the man page, but did not seen much
option for installing to a non-std location, and not have the system
actually "recognize" it as being there.

suggestions?

--
Snowman