[CentOS] Recommendation(s)

Bill Maltby wild-bill at triad.rr.com
Sat Oct 1 19:39:41 UTC 2005

<>Sam Drinkard <sam at wa4phy.net> wrote:
<snip>

> The other thing I'd thought about would be to install the needed gnu
> library, but in a non-standard place, like /home/sam or some other
> user directory. Since the software only needs this at runtime and not
> during linking, I don't see what It would bother. Given that idea, how
> would I use RPM to install that library ? I read the man page, but did
> not seen much option for installing to a non-std location, and not
> have the system actually "recognize" it as being there. suggestions?
> -- Snowman

I don't know the rpm commands, but I'm sure they exist. But they
probably won't do entirely what you need by themselves, IIUC what you
want to do there. I suspect that after you get the library in it's final
resting place, you'll want to add the target directory into
/etc/ld.so.conf. If you don't reboot immediately and want to use it,
you'll want to run ldconfig.

This based on my interpretation that you want to pull this lib to an
out-of-the-way place so it doesn't get trounced/removed when you pull
major upgrades?

HTH and that I wasn't addrssing a problem that doesn't exist.