[CentOS] question on firewire support and centosplus

Joe Landman

landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sun Oct 2 15:05:52 UTC 2005

Hi folks:

   Firewire was not supported in 4.0 due to the upstream provider not
including it.  Is it in 4.1?  Or is it still out of the mainline
upstream kernel provider?  What about centosplus?  Centosplus has been
listed as unsupported.  I presume this means that they are/were one-off
builds with missing functionality (e.g. xfs, etc), and are not updated.
  Is this the case?  I am looking at this for an important server, and I
want to make sure that if we switch to the centosplus kernel that we
haven't messed up the rest of the package support, or major kernel bugfixes.

   The reason I am curious about firewire is that I would like to use
the firewire interface rather than the USB interface for our backup
drives.   Its not much faster, just fewer context switches (e.g. lower
server load).

   Thanks.

Joe

--