[CentOS] Lost my menu options again - KDE messes with Gnome?

Dave Gutteridge dave at tokyocomedy.com
Mon Oct 3 14:00:28 UTC 2005

> You should never login to GUI as root. Never as in not ever.

Okay. Out of curiosity, why not?

> If you want to test your theory as more general, create a new user and
> log in as that user (you can delete the user and his files/home
> directory easily, later).

I'd like to try this, but for some reason, I can't get a new user going.
I create the user like this:

[root at localhost ~]# adduser -ppassword -m roger

But when I try to log in at the GUI prompt to get into Gnome, it always
password incorrect. Am I creating the user wrong?

Dave