[CentOS] Centos 4.1 on RaQ 550?

Paul R. Ganci ganci at nurdog.com
Tue Oct 4 01:22:43 UTC 2005

Gerald Waugh wrote:

>RaQ550 uses PentiumIII
>Should run CentOS, but the BIOS ROM may give trouble.

The RaQ 550's came with a 2.4 kernel so if I decided to stay with a
distribution using a 2.4 kernel there would be no problem. The lastest
(i.e. last) ROM version is 2.10.3 which from what I googled seemed to be
the version that most everyone flashed (my RaQs came with version
2.9.38). As usual this is the most dangerous step but also the most well
documented step. Most people's experience was positive.

What I haven't been able to find are the kernel config options/patches
necessary to make a 2.6 kernel work on the Cobalt hardware. I did find
someone who claimed to have succesfully installed Centos 4.1 and Blue
Quartz on a RaQ 550, but alas he did not publish the procedure as he
promised. Unfortunately I don't have a contact for the fellow.

Fortunately I do have a RaQ 550 that I can actually try the bits and
pieces I have learned to attempt such an install. I will certainly share
my experience, although this is a "as time permits", back burner,
weekend project. I suspect I will end up with a Centos install with a
2.4 kernel.

--
Paul (ganci at nurdog.com)