[CentOS] Centos for SPARC- when?

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Tue Oct 4 12:21:33 UTC 2005

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Chris Mauritz wrote:

> Just curious...why would you want to run CentOS on a sparc system
> instead of Slowlaris?  Or have I just answered my own question?
> 8-)

There's little doubt that Solaris mostly manages SPARC hardware better
than Linux (yet), and some platforms still lock up when running
various incarnations of the 2.6 kernel.

Linux, however, seems so much speedier on my SPARC than Solaris. Also,
Sun charges $BIG$ for its native compiler suite (did that change with
Solaris 10?), meaning that until very recently it was hit-and-miss
building kernel devices, modules for the native perl installation,
etc. And then there's the Ferrari of Linux package management speeding
away from the Yugo of pkg{add,rm,info}... :-)

-- Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>