[CentOS] LVM & Knoppix

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Tue Oct 4 13:21:03 UTC 2005

Quoting Robert <kerplop at sbcglobal.net>:

> Well, I *could* simply boot one of the three CentOS kernels in GRUB's
> repertoire just as I do on those rare occasions I boot.   I was
> hoping someone could point me to a utility that will undo the LVM
> mess permanently.  I think I've figured out a way to accomodate my
> current need to have my data available when booted into KNOPPIX but I
> won't be able to try until tomorrow.

The fact that Konppix doesn't include userland LVM utilities is
shortcomming of
Knoppix.  It does not mean that LVM is a mess.  Actually I was extremely
dissapointed when I found that Knoppix does not have LVM utilities, not
even in
DVD version (8GB of all kinds of stupidities you can imagine, but no space for
2MB LVM package).

Maybe you should send email to Klaus and ask him to finally start
including the
darn utilities as part of the base system, at least on DVD.

Said that, the kernel that comes with Knoppix has LVM support enabled.
All you
need are userland utilities.  You can install them over network using dpkg (or
whatever package maintance utilitiy is called in Debian) once you are booted
into Knoppix.  There are instructions for doing that somewhere someplace
(probably typing "knoppix lvm" in Google would find them).  If you have USB
key, or something similar, you can place the userland LVM utilities on it, so
you don't have to install them each time you boot into Knoppix (or maybe you
could rebuild your own version of Koppix CD which will have them).