[CentOS] MythTV on Centos 4 - Solved

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 03:31:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 22:17, Scot L. Harris wrote:

> > No, in fact the mandated digital tuner that will eventually be
> > required in all US TV's won't work with the digital encoding
> > on the cable systems where nearly all of them will be
> > connected either.
> >

> I never liked having to use cable boxes.

Nobody likes cable boxes except the people selling them and
renting them to you.

> The tuners in the TVs, VCRs,
> DVRs, etc should by default be able to accept and use all the signals
> sent by the cable company.

Actually I'd rather have a device able to deliver to any
networked computer instead of having to deal with tuners
at every display.

> > Yes, it does.  I have Comcast and the Motorola DVR and have been
> > able to get HD out the firewire and view it with videolan client
> > but it is very inconvenient since it only plays in real time
> > as the same thing shows on the video outputs.
> >

> I don't understand that, you want to pull in a show faster than it
> plays?

Yes, when it is already recorded. The equivalent would be copying a
file from one mythtv server to another for later viewing.  It
would be better to allow access to arbitrary files, not just
what comes out the video jacks and to do it at full media
speed, not real display time.

> > Oh, it isn't that you are unable to record - you are only allowed
> > to use certain equipment to do it.  The DVR itself does basic
> > timeshifting, and the firewire output is usable even with
> > protected content with D-VHS tape drives - just not generic
> > computer equipment...
>
> Wonder how long that will last?  Such things normally present a
> challenge to those that develop things like mythtv.  :)

I think it will last until the voters wake up and realize
that their interests have been sold out by the legislators
mandating this crap.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com