[CentOS] MythTV on Centos 4 - Solved

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 17:20:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 11:07, Scot L. Harris wrote:

> > > I don't understand that, you want to pull in a show faster than it
> > > plays?
> >
> > Yes, when it is already recorded. The equivalent would be copying a
> > file from one mythtv server to another for later viewing.  It
> > would be better to allow access to arbitrary files, not just
> > what comes out the video jacks and to do it at full media
> > speed, not real display time.
> >

> OK, I understand now.  You are talking about the bundled DVR the cable
> company provides.  Could you feed the firewire into a mythtv box?  Then
> you be able to do those things with the content from the myth box.
> Would mean not using the Comcast DVR.

For the moment, the DVR/cable box is the only device I have with
HD component output so it isn't all that useful to do anything
with the firewire output.  Eventually I may get something like
the roku HD1000 which would make it worthwhile.  I've only played
with reading firewire the with a Mac program, but it is possible to
change the channel and capture the video unless it is encrypted.
You can't play back through it.

> > > Wonder how long that will last?  Such things normally present a
> > > challenge to those that develop things like mythtv.  :)
> >
> > I think it will last until the voters wake up and realize
> > that their interests have been sold out by the legislators
> > mandating this crap.
>
> Like that will happen in my life time.  I have a better chance of
> winning the lotto.

Agreed - and using the DVR isn't that bad...  Comcast makes a lot of
content available 'on demand', including movies from the premium
channels so you don't have to record them yourself to timeshift
although they don't have everything in HD and charge extra for
the on-demand HD if they do have it.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com